F.H Tucker & Son Pty Ltd was established in Wycheproof in 1883 and moved to Geelong West in 1925. At this time the company was owned and run by Charlie Tucker and his wife Irene.
When Charlie Tucker died in 1954, Les Cole, who had been employed by the company for many years, became a shareholder and ran the company with Mrs Tucker. The Cole family eventually assumed full ownership and management but kept the original name of Tuckers as is still the case today.
Les Cole spent over 60 years of his life supporting members of the community in their time of need, whilst developing and improving Tuckers Funeral Services. This tradition has been continued by his son Trevor and grandson Gavin. Trevor, Gavin and his wife De’arne are following the time honoured tradition of family service to the community as owner/operators of Tuckers Funeral & Bereavement Service.
In 1985, under the management of Trevor Cole, Tuckers completed building works and opened the Grovedale Funeral Chapel. These facilities were positioned on the other side of town from Geelong West to better serve the community of Geelong, and this chapel is still today a well-known landmark in Geelong.
In 2007, Tuckers Funeral & Bereavement Service purchased the Geelong division of Tattersall Funeral Care, Hepner Funeral Service, and the Lara division of Tattersall Funeral Care, including their pre-paid commitments. As part of this, Tuckers now own and operate the Chapel at Lara which is located at 8 Forest Road, Lara. In 2008 Mark and Kathy Osborne became partners in the company with the Cole family maintaining Tuckers Funeral & Bereavement Service as 100% locally owned and operated.
Tuckers commenced major redevelopment of the facilities in Geelong West in 2009. This process was undertaken to better serve the community of Geelong, and has included the restoration of Tuckers’ original funeral chapel. This Chapel has been named in honor of the personal contributions Les made to both the company and the local community. The ‘Les Cole Chapel’ is located at the heart of Tuckers Funeral and Bereavement Service in Hope Street, Geelong West. In 2010 a new office was also opened in Shannon Avenue, Manifold Heights to provide ease of access for people living in the area.
In 2011, the addition of Tuckers Highton Funeral Chapel located at the Barrabool Hills Centre, provided the ability to better serve the Geelong Community. This venue has magnificent views that are perfect for small intimate reflections for 20 or 30 people, and has the ability to cater for large funerals accommodating up to 1000 people. With over 300 sealed car spaces, commercial catering facilities and state of the art audio visual equipment this venue is currently Geelong’s most modern and contemporary funeral facility.
Today, Tuckers Funeral and Bereavement Service are operating as the largest regional funeral director in Victoria. Proudly, Tuckers supports the local community not only by many donations and sponsorships, but also by sourcing products and supplies from local Geelong producers where possible.